This half day training course is aimed at anyone who selects, mounts or uses abrasive wheels. The course covers different types of abrasive wheel, pre-use inspection to wheels and tools, hazards, correct PPE, fire control, regulations, correct cutting/grinding techniques and correct selection of wheels.
4-5 Hours (depending on class size and experience)
Any person(s) who, as part of their working duties, are involved in the selection, inspection and use of abrasive wheels in the workplace.
To cover the duty of care placed on employers by the PUWER regulations 1998 to provide adequate training for the safe use abrasive wheels. To give the candidate the knowledge to select the correct wheel for the job, the suitable PPE required, and to cut or grind using the tool safely. It covers the abrasive, hand held petrol, battery and mains electric tools and small bench mounted grinders.
- What are the duties of care placed on employers by PUWER 1998
- What are the responsibilities placed on employees by PUWER 1998
- The common causes of accidents with abrasive wheels
- The common causes of burst wheels
- The markings found on abrasive wheels
- The markings found on angle grinders and petrol cutting tools
- The British marking system that is found on abrasive wheels and how it can be used when ordering new wheels
- Eye protection what is the best type and why it is needed
- Hearing protection why it is needed and what style is recommended
- What other PPE is required when using abrasive wheels
- What precautions are recommend when using abrasive wheels to prevent fires
- What are the dangers of HAV when using abrasive wheels and how it can be controlled
- Daily checks needed on abrasives and all tools to ensure safe use
- 10 question written test
- Each candidate will have to select the most appropriate cutting wheel for the task given form the wheels provided.
- Each candidate will have to correctly mount their chosen wheel onto the wheel
- Each candidate will have to perform a before use inspection on both the wheel and the tool.
- Each candidate will have to use the grinding wheel using the safe system of work given by the instructor. Candidates will be assessed on their competence by the instructor throughout the course
To book this course or find out more information, please contact us here.